POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Please help a useless mathematician : Re: Please help a useless mathematician Server Time
6 Sep 2024 04:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Please help a useless mathematician
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 21 Jan 1999 02:15:41
Message: <36A6D414.9DB0639D@aol.com>
This reminds of when I used to draw out planetary ellipses rather
crudely in 2 dimensions with GW Basic. I've forgotten everything about
it pretty much.
This:

translate <Radius1*sin(2*pi*clock),0,Radius2*cos(2*pi*clock)>

might also be used like:

translate
<OffsetX+(RadiusX*sin(2*pi*clock)),0,OffsetZ+(RadiusZ*cos(2*pi*clock))>

where the offsets are coordinates to center upon, and may also be used
as:

#declare OffsetRadiusX=3 //example
#declare OffsetRadiusZ=1.5 //example

#declare OffsetX=OffsetRadiusX*sin(2*pi*clock)
#declare OffsetZ=OffsetRadiusZ*sin(2*pi*clock)

Then the final translation vector.

translate <OffsetX*sin(2*pi*clock)),0,OffsetZ*cos(2*pi*clock))>

This should make the "orbit" revolve upon an orbiting center of mass, as
it were. Which is how the Earth and Moon do, in a slight way.

Perhaps finally a third (smaller offset) component of the translate
vector, Y, could perturb this also making for an inclined (and wavy if
the clock is times 2 for example) orbital plane.

Or am I way off base with this whole suggestion?
I'm guessing about it, so none of this may be useable. I'll have to get
into this stuff again someday.

Nieminen Mika wrote:

>   The correct answer is:
>
> instead of
>
> translate x*10
> rotate y*clock*360
>
> make:
>
> translate <Radius1*sin(2*pi*clock),0,Radius2*cos(2*pi*clock)>

Warp. -*/

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
=Bob